Vero Beach Amateur Radio Club
Use this page to see what the club is up to.......just scroll down !!!!
JULY DRAFT minutes ARE POSTED
JUNE FINAL minutes ARE POSTED
Each month, near the end of the month N1PZB, Gary Webster will be posting the minutes of the previous month's meeting here. Members can click MEETING MINUTES above to review them BEFORE our next meeting's approval vote. ANYTHING can be changed-added-or deleted, and when approved will be posted as FINAL.
2018 FIELD DAY PICS are ...
FINALLY HERE !!!
...and as a bonus the QRP Day at
Round Lake Park from
Sat July 21st
Message from our Secretary...
"Good Morning All,
Here are the new Bylaws as accepted with the acceptance notation added at the end!
Gary – N1PZB"
WEBMASTER NOTE...They are now posted under the
VBARC BY-LAWS TAB and meet the IRS 501 C 3 Standards.
"KIT NIGHT" will resume in
the fall...have a nice summer !!!
What is Winlink
• Global email by radio, in concert with the Internet, or entirely by RF
• Not intended to replace other email methods except…
On the high seas
• Famous for disaster and emergency relief e.g. The Caribbean 2017
• Widely used for EmComm by EOCs, FEMA, Homeland Security, Government Agencies
• Built and maintained entirely by volunteers
• Twenty years old
• Supported by Amateur Radio Safety Foundation Inc. (ARSFI)
• Radio access to host of services especially weather (Winlink Catalog Requests)
• Location reporting (See https://winlink.org/userPositions)
• Free but a donation to ARSFI appropriate, and nice to use Amazon Smile
• Much more at winlink.org
• Email when all else fails
• Complete and documented reports not sketchy phone messages
• Send and receive clear and referenceable instructions
• Communicate specific information e.g. medical support, supplies, health and welfare
messages, utility outages
• “If it isn’t documented, it didn’t happen”
How to Use Winlink
• VHF / UHF / HF / Telnet all possible
• Choosing a mode
VHF better choice for a local network - shelter HF deployment unrealistic
HF likely to fly over close stations - yet, required for long distance contact
“Ideal” station has both
• For the first message leg or all of them
RF to Radio Message Server (RMS)
Internet from RMS for delivery worldwide
Radio-only relay if Internet is not available
RF Peer to Peer for two-parties
Local Winlink networks by radio e.g. hurricane activation
Use Internet for higher speed while it is available (Telnet)
Digipeaters will expand range
Getting Started and Going
• Download “Winlink Express Install” from http://downloads.winlink.org/User%20Programs/
• Set up account with amateur call sign - Must use Winlink Express for this
• A little donation? The right thing to do, and brings a registration key
• Use Telnet to become acquainted with Winlink - no new equipment needed
• Get up to speed
See Rick Frost K4REF series here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGhUfW8pjY8
Excellent reference material from the Master, Phil Sherrod W4PHS at QRZ.com
• Decide what additional equipment, if any, is needed
Take plenty of time with new hardware decisions to avoid mistakes
Some radios already have built-in sound card or TNC
Handheld w/o external antenna and amplifier may not perform reliably
Re equipment - Important to understand Packets must be clear or will be rejected
• Learn about report forms imbedded in Winlink e.g., ICS Documents (Message, Templates)
• Training by regular practice - “Test messages” with others, Net checkins, Event Support
• Winlink for Go-Kits - County and Personal
• High-tower, hardened RMS(s) essential for EmComm
THANKS TO j.lineback K4WOF FOR PUTTING THIS PRIMER TOGETHER FOR VBARC
07 June 2018
Congrats to N1PZB GARY WEBSTER for
being designated by Section Manager JEFF
BEALS at the Ft Pierce Hamfest as
SFL ARES DISTRICT
VBARC Honored at the Stuart Ham Fest on March 17, 2018
Jeff Beals WA4AW, SF Section Manager
presented VBARC with our Anniversay
Certificate of 50 Years of ARRL Affiliated
Club. ..See more photos of the event and
presention in our photos section.
NEW ROSTER for 2018...
has been added to the MEMBERS ONLY PAGE...BUT you need to log in to
access it. An e-mail blast has been sent out to the 2018 members with the
username and password.